Monday, November 2, 2009

Stella McCartney - Designer with a Conscience


The "It" Shoe for A/W 09, laser cut perforated faux nappa thigh high boots

I received The Style Hunter newsletter from Lane Crawford a while back. I went WOW on the second page which featured these thigh high boots designed by Stella McCartney. She had been my favorite designer since she joined the house of Chole. She's now with Gucci and has her own line under her name.

A few years back, Stella had a crossover with Adidas for women's sports clothes and shoes. I coveted that pair of Adidas shoes for a long time but never got to buy it. I finally got a top. I had serious doubts about the comfort and fit at the asymmetrical cutting, but it turned out to be super comfortable and it wrapped the body really well.

Aside from the fabulous designs, I loved Stella's support of Peta and her not using fur or leather in any of her designs. She is a vegetarian and very vocal about her belief of "no-animal" policy in her clothing lines. Her message appears on her labels and on one of her Adidas jacket, it even says "it's suitable for sporty vegetarian". Sir Paul McCartney is also very supportive of Peta and he protests against designers who use animal furs for designs.

Stella launched a skincare line called CARE two years ago and its ingredients are 100% organic. I have tried the line and it feels good to know you are using products with no preservatives. The line is really simple, with a cleansing milk, floral toning water, day cream and night cream. At the same time, Stella has launched a fragrance under her name.

I really admire Stella McCartney for advocating her beliefs in her designs. With her name and fame, I hope more and more people will be aware that great designs don't have to scream pain. She is a designer with a conscience. Hats off!!
( photo: www.stellamccartney.com)

2 comments:

pascale said...

I wouldn't have known those are boots if you I didn't read this post... wow.... the model's legs are so thin....!!!!! I don't think I will fit into those...actually I thin my legs are too short for those *sob sob*
Great post :)

bonnie said...

Thigh high boots are in "in-thing" this season. Aside from mile long legs, you gotta have thin legs, too. I doubt I could pull them up. I'll be amazed if it passed through my shins!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails