Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Meaning of Christmas


Animals Asia's gift catalogue

I have been supporting Animals Asia for years. When I received the gift catalogue and the appeal for donations this year, I cannot suppress a smile. Aside from the usual bear related merchandise like calendars, key chains and t-shirts, plus directly befriending a bear by donating each month. We could choose gifts directly for the bears like pots of honey, fruit baskets, vet care for a month, bear health check, climbing frame, gall bladder surgery and a hammock.

Christmas is a season of giving and spreading love, in this case to my charity of choice. After years of suffering, these bears deserve all the things they are entitled to from the beginning. I am so happy Jill Robinson has founded the cause to rescue these bears and has brought the plight of the bears to the world. There is a little note that AAF has brought an increased awareness to animal welfare in China, the origin of the bears suffering.

I am saving for a hammock for the bears. The picture above has brought a smile and a warm glow all over me I haven't felt for a while. A writer once said that when you feel poor, try to give whatever you have to someone worse off than you. You will feel richer afterwards. I believe he is referring to the giving of love and the love bounces right back to you in the form of appreciation.

2 comments:

pascale said...

The hammock does look comfy and fun!
Christmas is one of my favorites time of the year too~!
Love the jingles in the air and the warmness we share during the time ;D

bonnie said...

This is the only Christmas present I am giving. People around me have more than enough. Oh, maybe some treats for my kids, but Porky is so round already...

Related Posts with Thumbnails