Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Taming the Kitchen

It's been a nine days since Merlyn has left for good. I have never felt so exhausted. The routine we have established in the house is completely upended.
The kids are confused and they really show it by behaving "naughtily", to put it mildly.

As if this is not enough, things have strangely started to fall apart. The coffeemaker's jug has cracked and the pout of the kettle has mysteriously melted!! I have always joked that Merlyn is the manager of the kitchen. Perhaps I am an unwelcome intruder, duh...

The transitional phase includes setting up a new routine, calming the kids, getting used to the chores around the house and most importantly taming the kitchen. I am lucky that I have part time help for a breather. What I really need is to get a wand and go to Hogwarts or Mrs. Weasley's to learn some spells. Hermoine, help!!!

The cracked jug has lasted two days without bursting, but I wouldn't push my luck the third time. I could not imagine myself getting through this phase without my two daily cups of strong coffee. I finally ventured out to get myself a new coffeemaker and kettle. In a strange but nice way, I feel that the kitchen is more "mine" after making my first cuppa in the new coffeemaker. The new whistle of the kettle is also more refreshing.

Yes, this is a new beginning. Amazingly, aside from feeling tired, I haven't felt out of control. I know that in the end, everything will be clockwork again for me and the kids. All we needed is some time to ease into our new life.

2 comments:

pascale said...

I am sure you are so very right about this. It WILL work out in the end, and the kids will think this is the routine they will go with.
Good luck! just little bit of time and effort will do it! (I've got to learn to say that to myself too)

bonnie said...

Thanks, but I still hope I could pull out a magic wand voila it's done!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails