Monday, June 29, 2009

Silence

~It has been said silence is a strength, in quite a different sense it is a terrible strength in the hands who are loved. It increases the anxiety of the one who waits. Nothing so tempts us to approach another person as what is keeping us apart; and what barrier is so insurmountable as silence? But what an even greater torture than that of having to keep silence it is to have endure the silence of the person one loves.~

~Besides, more cruel than the silence of prisons, that kind of silence is in itself a prison. It is an intangible enclosure, true, but an impenetrable one. This interposed slice of empty atmosphere through which nevertheless the visual rays of the abandoned lover cannot pass.~

While reading the third tome of Proust's "A la Recherche du Temp Perdu", I came across this passage. I had complete resonance with every word, because I was the unaware prisoner a few years back. I had no clue as to what I had done or not done to deserve this treatment.

The reason is totally inconsequential now. Oh, but how I admire the depth of Proust's writing. Tears welled in my eyes when I read it. How could he know the torments of silence had he not felt it first? I believed he had seen it, heard it, smelled it, tasted it and touched it. Much more so, felt it. So have I.

A friend was right in saying that "not knowing" was the cruelest because you could not be rid of the questions surrounding "why". She was also right in saying that to just disappear, the person had to be heartless, selfish and cowardice. I used to disagree, but after reading what Proust described, silence was mental torture.

(Photo: www.sethearl.wordpress.com)
(~Excerpts: The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust)

3 comments:

pascale said...

I couldn't help but notice the melancholiness in your writing...hope everything will settle down soon.

bonnie said...

Yeah, I am having my bouts of blues. It helps to write it out and vent. It's just that I am frustrated with a lot of things lately. I am giving myself a week to get it out of my system.

josephine said...

人越成長,就越顯得安靜;當面對艱難的日子時,即或內心有多麼痛,如可以選擇的話,真的想大哭一場;不過偏偏眼淚卻只凝在眼中,倒流在心。或者,活到現在更知道,即使日子如何,你也得活下去,要是這樣,又有什麼好講。或者最好適合的方法,就是保持沉默。原因係有很多的點解,都不能去問,有很多的原因,也無法去弄清,在這無答案的處境上,真叫人無力再掙扎,只好靜下來,看劇情發展吧!這也是我的心情!

Related Posts with Thumbnails