Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Deadlines

I have retired from "active work" for almost a year now. During this sabbatical, I have lots of time to unwind from the accumulated stress from my previous job, and do what I love best. I spent a lot of time reading, browsing in the libarary, bonding with my kids and pottering around the house. The best thing is - there is no deadline!!

All of a sudden, I am bombarded with freelance projects from all sides, and the dreaded deadlines are looming before me with the capital 'D'. Along with it is stress, stress and more stress. People don't understand why I am so stressed and ask me to take it easy, dada, dada....

What they don't understand is that I have to put my name and my company's name on each page of the project. This calls for perfection, at least a standard I could accept with conscience. I have accepted that I have a type A personality. I set very high standards with my work and this is the only reason that people entrust their projects to me.

Geez, I only hope people with mediocre standards would shut up, go on with their mediocre lives and quit criticizing. I, on the other hand, hope to expand my horizons and lead a better life. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a lot of stress trying to strive for the best. Balancing out is so difficult. Sometimes we need to know where to draw the the line and say 'hey this will do' and sometimes it's just not acceptable to think 'let me stop here and hope they won't find the flaws I made'.
Where to stop, huh?

But if you can...take it easy.
Nothing is more important than you yourself and your health in all ways possible.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment.:) I totally agree with you on where to draw the line? I took whole day yesterday off from this project. After running some errands in CWB, I took Porky out for a walk. I haven't walked him in a long time (Merlyn does). I bought fresh flowers, took a long soak in the tub and read Newsweek from cover to cover!!
Today, I feel up to tackling this tedious "thing" again. Well, I might need a day off tomorrow, too!! :)
I miss walking Porky!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails