Friday, August 20, 2010

The Swan Thieves



Kostova's debut bestseller, "The Historian", is one of my favorite reads. The anticipated release of her second book has me glued to B&N's online store for months. Sadly, "The Swan Thieves" is a huge disappointment. It has taken me three weeks to finish the book. That's telling because I can devour a paperback in days.

The plot revolves around an acclaimed artist Robert Oliver attacking a painting, Leda and the Swan by Gilbert Thomas at the National Gallery of Art in D.C. He is arrested and taken under the psychiatric care of Andrew Marlow. Thus begin Dr. Marlow's investigation into the past of Robert Oliver and the motive behind the attack.

A famous painting, a mad artist, a bundle of fragile old letters, plus globe trotting to Impressionist museums, unravelling of clues and piecing of puzzles spanning a century, the book has the making to be an enthralling read.

For some unfathomable reason Kostova has chosen to write the book with each character delivering a monologue breaking as a chapter. With minimal dialogue in some chapters, the narration has completely failed to engage me and worst of all ruined the tempo of the book.

I think great reads have the ability to entice the reader to identify and empathize with the characters. The feeling of having participated in the story makes the book a lingering and memorable read. A pity this is not one of them.

4 comments:

pascale said...

Yes, a pity. When you find a good book, it just 'locks' you. As you very well know I am sure...
Haven't done that for a long long time now...

bonnie said...

It's really difficult to live up to an earlier success as big as a bestseller. The only author to beat this is JK Rowling. She has us care about what happens to every character.
The Deathly Hallows is going to be split into two movies, have you heard?

pascale said...

Bonnie, yes I head that DH will be in 2 parts. :D
I don't know if it's a good thing because I can look forward to another extra movie or it's a bad thing because now I have to be in the dark for another movie while I am waiting :p

I usually go on mugglenet.com do you?

pascale said...

I mean heard*

Related Posts with Thumbnails