Saturday, May 8, 2010

Time



Two years into working from home, I have to hang my head and admit I have accomplished less than I initially hope for. I have read somewhere people who run home offices will be hit with this realization. At the time of the reading I have snickered it will never happen to me. Guess what? It has!! There are zillions of distractions at home and worse, I always harbor the delusion I have more time because I can work anytime I want. Right.
I just end up procrastinating more often. The only time when there is any sense of urgency is when a deadline is staring me at the face. I'd pull all nighters to get it done which ultimately compromises the quality. Suffice to say I am not too happy with it.
I have also come to realize that more freedom equals more discipline. When I don't have to clock in time like at the office, I slack. The all time excuse being I am waiting for my muse to inspire me. Yeah, right. It's true that sometimes I get stuck on a phrase or an idea and it takes some mental construction to see how it pans out. However, more often than not, these are purely excuses and proof that I am not pushing myself hard enough because I believe there is still time.

It's a good thing I am aware of it before I lose any work so it's high time to kick the habit of procrastinating and more importantly, to have a correct perspective of time. Time is too precious to waste.

2 comments:

pascale said...

It's so easy to give myself an excuse when I work alone at home. I do that 'ALL' the time. :(
Time management is not easy, is it?

bonnie said...

It is a challenge, is there a sure-fire way to time management? Sigh...and I am thinking I should give Porky a brush now!! That's distraction!

Related Posts with Thumbnails