Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Asthma



I haven't been so sick as I had been the last few days for a long time. It first started with a sore throat after lunch. I didn't pay much attention to it. Then, my friend insisted we walk in 33c instead of grabbing a cab to see something. Fine. When I got home, I was sweating profusely and started to get out of breath.

As the night wore on, the sore throat became a hacking cough and the wheezing came. Then I knew it was a full blown asthma attack. I have a handy inhaler with me all the time and usually several puffs would do the trick. Not this time though. I was coughing and hacking so much my chest and back were in pain because of the exertion to get the phlegm out.

Next day was the worst. I remember sitting in the bath tub, instead of standing, to take a shower. I couldn't sit nor stand straight because hunching my back was the best posture to not cough. After the half hearted attempt at showering, I had to sit in the tub and wait for the wheezing to ease off before I could climb out.

Sleeping was out of the question because lying down would bring a new bout of hacking and more wheezing. Even though it was a torture to cough like that, I managed to get almost all the phlegm out. Yesterday morning, the part time helper came and one look at me she said she'd clean my room first, so I could rest. I took my medicine while waiting and I fell into a coma and slept till 3pm.

I still have no clue what triggered this massive attack. There were suggestions of food allergy, air pollution and of course blame it on the cats theory. I am just happy the episode is over and from now on, I'll be extra careful with my known allergies.

photo
(http://dailygrommet.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hot-tea.jpg)

3 comments:

pascale said...

So very glad that you are getting better.
May be it was combination of everything you can think of...take care....

bonnie said...

It's getting real strange what caused what nowadays. My cousin said her son is allergic to bean sprouts and his eyes were swollen shut.
Perhaps there's just too many chemicals and preservatives in everything and anything, even the air we breathe!

pascale said...

I remember when I was a small girl being allergic to sausage once.
For some reason I tried eating it again 6 months later and I was over it. Still a mystery ....

Related Posts with Thumbnails