Saturday, April 25, 2009

Heritage

Maryknoll Convent School
Studio White is moving to a new locale near Times Square. Upon signing the new lease, I noticed the lady responsible for rental had very pretty and flowing handwriting. Her handwriting was very similar to a certain cursive script I had to laboriously copy and mark by teachers when I was in primary school.
I ventured a bold question, which I hoped it wouldn't be too impertinent. I said, "Your handwriting is real beautiful." To which she replied, "Yours ain't too bad either." I then asked, "Do you mind telling me which school you went to?" The lady lowered her head and shyly replied, "Maryknoll on Kowloon side."
No wonder it's so familiar. The hoops here and the curls there. I have found a fellow Maryknoller. We then reminisced about the sisters roaming around reprimanding us for running on the wooden staircase, making thunderous noise. One of the sisters would say, "You lot will turn into elephants and not ladies!!" After she turned her back, all the while shaking her head, we would continue our stampede down the corridors.
I have never been big on school spirit, like wearing insignia shirts to announce to the world which school I went to. For some reasons, this lady has invoked a sudden pride in me of our old school. I believe it's this inexplicable charm and demeanor she carries. Cheekily I asked, "Since we are both old girls, would you look out for us more?" She just smiled and said, "We'll see if you girls behave."
How come it sounds like something that Sister Jeanne would say? I have never said this, but I am proud to be Maryknoller!!
(photos: top www.flickr.com)

2 comments:

pascale said...

Oh I love your old school uniforms!! they are so pretty!!

bonnie said...

I loved them, too, especially the winter ones :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails