Sunday, March 14, 2010

Change of Scenery


Poems by Walt Whitman with a bouquet of pale pink roses
I have experienced countless writer's blocks since I begin to write in earnest. Some days my mind would be a total blank. Some days, I would be muted by a lack of words to express my intended meaning. Most days, I would be editing myself to death by rewriting a paragraph over and over again. It is not pleasant to say the least.
I have recently subscribed to a mobile network which gives me the freedom to take my laptop everywhere but the downside is the battery lasts two hours at most. Under this very real time constraint, coupled with a heightened self awareness that I have just ordered a coffee occupying someone's table for a lengthy time, work has become more productive. The mind works in mysterious ways. For some reason, this two hour deadline has given me a purpose to finish or polish whatever piece I am working on. Words simply flow.
Not that writing at the usual desk is a bore and a chore, but a change of scenery has really worked wonders. The people watching is a great distraction but the best thing is taking off the pressure of writing in a relaxed environment. I would definitely do it more often from now on.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails